the face of some level of consumer complaints,
and a Philadelphia television station story
reporting on a woman who says her dog died
after eating what she suspects were tainted
dog treats, Wal-Mart has quietly removed
two SKUs made in China from its shelves.
week, WPVI in Philadelphia featured a story
on a local woman who believes her dog died
after eating dog treats purchased at Wal-Mart
and manufactured in China (see WPVI video
Treats Suspected in Dog's Death).
Testing after the dog’s death apparently
indicated the dog died from an infection
caused by toxic bacteria, though the source
of the infection is not proven.
these and what the Associated Press says
were other consumer complaints about sick
pets, Wal-Mart late in July started removing
two SKUs from store shelves (Chicken Jerky
Strips from Import-Pingyang Pet Product
Co. and Chicken Jerky from Shanghai Bestro
Trading). Wal-Mart also made changes to
store databases to block the sale of those
products’ UPC codes, in case any remain
on the shelves.
there really any problem with these products?
At this point, no one knows. But with the
high levels of publicity regarding the potential
lack of safety regarding Chinese products,
companies like Wal-Mart are clearly best
off for now erring on the side of caution.
in general, especially those selling consumer
products, need to relook at their sourcing
strategies, evaluate the options anew where
possible, and put in a whole new level of
process improvements and monitoring programs
to ensure product safety and avoid the high
costs of safety issues and recalls. (See
Chain Tip of the Week: Improving Quality
and Reducing Risk in Offshoring.)